Being a mother, becoming a doula, knitting, charity and the life that happens in-between.



Thursday, February 17, 2011

Birthday Books

One of the best parts of my birthday last week was getting not one, but two gift certificates to Chapters. Everyone around me knows how much I love to read, and if there is ever any doubt as to what I want, a good book is top of the list, even over fabric I must admit.

So I quickly ordered three books that have been on my list for a little while, and they arrived on Monday, and while I opened the box right away, I did have to finish the book I was already reading before delving into one of my new ones.


I picked this one off my sister-in-law's bookshelf last time I was home to visit. This book did not disappoint and to think that Harry, the author, made his debut as a novelist at the age of 96! The story of his family during WWI, living in a small English town that is much more divided than by the obvious Jewish side of the street and Christian side of the street. This is a story that for many our age we can't even imagine happening let alone living through like Harry did. Pick it up, read it, let me know how you liked it.


So what's next? I think that I'm going to have to play enie-meanie-miney-moe to decide! Although I'm leaning towards "The Best Laid Plans" since it just won the CBC Reads 10th Anniversiary edition, the books they pick never disappoint.

No comments: